Case Study: Nine West

Nine West increases conversions by removing browser-based ads

+ 8 %

Overall site
conversion rate
 lift

+ 6.1 %

 Overall site revenue per session
lift

- 7.1 %

Overall site  decrease in cart abandonment rate

The Problem

Browser-based ads diverting shoppers away from Nine West, to competitor sites.

Regular shoppers on Nine West started to complain about intrusive pop up ads on their retail site. But these ads were not being served by Nine West at the time and they couldn’t really see how where they were showing up or how many ads were there in all.  

But after meeting with BrandLock, they saw all these ads first hand and the number of ads was quite alarming.

The ads were not only contextually right, but they were also seamlessly blended into the product page. While they were displayed like the product of the retailer, when clicked, they took the shopper to a competing site.

The next thing was to check just how many of the Nine West shoppers were seeing such ads.

BrandLock helped them identify that about 11.25% of their sessions were impacted by these ads.
Nine West immediately realized that these distractions were no longer targeted at hacking their site but stealing their customers.

The solution

BrandLock’s Shield removes unwanted ads to decrease shopper frustrations and improve conversions.

Agreeing to work on a performance-based model, BrandLock and Nine West began running an A/B test on the store visitors, over a period of twelve months. The test was targeted at demonstrating the impact of revenue per session when Shield disabled unwanted ads in real time vs the site visitors that were still seeing these ads.

With the implementation as simple as dropping a line of code into the tag management solution, we got to work immediately.

The goal

The goal was to achieve a 99% confidence level on the data set, using revenue per session as the key metric. The metric was chosen based on the fact that it had direct implications for the profit and loss of Nine West. The test also implemented monitoring a lot of data and shopper sessions to validate the conversions (sales) driven by BrandLock.

The result

In the first month, Nine West began with a 50-50 traffic split to see how effective Shield was at keeping unwanted ads at bay and converting the audience that was being protected from them.  

From the second to the twelfth month, BrandLock’s Shield ended up protecting 90% of their store traffic from unwanted distractions, leaving only 10% in a control group.

What your customer
is really seeing
What you think your
customer is seeing

The Impact

Nine West reduces cart abandonment with BrandLock Shield

In the first month, Nine West saw a +5.3% increase in the overall revenue per session. The next month, the retail store saw it climbing up to +10.89%.

After 11 months of continuous A/B testing with BrandLock, the results were clear. It was possible to improve the monthly revenue by 5-10% by simply disabling all the consumer browser-based distractions that were luring the shopper away

But that’s not all.


Nine West found a self-funding solution to keep unwanted distractions at bay. The fees paid to BrandLock was covered by a small percentage of the resulting revenue lift. 

8 %
Confidence level in
the results set
8 %
Overall site
conversion rate lift
6.1 %
Overall site
revenue per session lift
7 %
Decrease in
cart abandonment rate
22 x
ROI

Want to see if your retail store is being impacted by unwanted ads and how you can increase your conversions with BrandLock?