Customer Stories

RC Willey Combats Browser-injected Ads to Improve Conversion Rate

RC Willey onboards BrandLock solution to reduce high exit rates and unlock higher revenue per session. Their online store now sees better engagement and higher conversions than ever before.

The Results
Increase in Revenue Per Visit
Increase in Conversion Rate
Decrease in Exit Rate
Business Challenge

Browser injected ads taking shoppers away from RC Willey to competitor sites

RC Willey, an American home furnishings company noticed a lot of their shoppers dropping off from product pages. While aware of browser-injected ads like popups, videos, adult content, and even competitor ads often showing up on a site on the consumer browser, the brand couldn’t effectively measure their impact on its conversions.

The contextual nature of these ads and their design further made it impossible for shoppers to identify them. They would only realize these were ads from other sites after clicking on them and being redirected to another site

The browser-injected ads ruined the on-site shopping experience for RC Willey’s shoppers and increased their exit rate.

When BrandLock met RC Willey, the meeting resulted in a quick analysis of the online store. This led to RC Willey noticing the vast number of browser-injected ads on their site across the category, product, and check-out pages. They also noted that more than 11% of their traffic was exposed to these ads.

RC Willey realized that browser-injected ads were not targeted at hacking their site. They only wanted to lure shoppers away from completing purchases.


BrandLock solution

BrandLock & RC Willey A/B test to measure the impact of browser injected ads

RC Willey agreed to work with BrandLock on a pay-per-performance model to measure the impact of browser-injected ads. With a team of R&D experts, BrandLock set up 12 months of continuous A/B testing on the brand’s online store, under the following plan:

  • Single variant testing framework – BrandLock ‘on’ vs ‘off’
  • Randomized grouping – Visitors are assigned at random to two groups (control and protected)
  • Analytics integration – Results reporting within Google Analytics or Adobe (previously Omniture)
  • Revenue per session – Metric to measure the impact of removing browser injected ads across all devices (combines AOV and CR)

The test began by adding just one line of code to RC Willey’s tag management solution.

The Goal

With a goal to achieve a 99% confidence level on the data set, the A/B test set revenue per session as a success metric. The metric left no blind spots in determining the actual increase in revenue (or lift) by incorporating both AOV (average order value) and CR (conversion rate).

The Result

The A/B test on RC Willey began with a simple 50-50 traffic split. The visitors were randomly categorized into two groups – control (exposed to browser injected ads) and protected (browser injected ads disabled by BrandLock Shield).

From the second month, BrandLock Shield began protecting 90% of RC Willey’s traffic, leaving only 10% to the ‘control group’ where the ads were allowed to run their course.


RC Willey removes browser injected ads to improve on-site conversions and increase revenue

The results of the A/B test seamlessly began to flow into the analytics platform of RC Willey – Google Analytics. This made it easier for the brand to also monitor the impact of removing browser-injected ads with BrandLock Shield.

In the first month, RC Willey noticed a +18% increase in the overall site conversion rate for the protected group. By the next month, the conversion rate lifted to a whopping +31.43% for these protected shoppers.

After 12 months of continuous A/B testing, RC Willey successfully decreased its exit rate, increased on-site conversions, and its revenue per session. They also found that shoppers in the protected group were more engaged with what the store had to offer.

With BrandLock Shield, RC Willey achieved:

  • 9% increase in revenue per session
  • 10% increase in conversion rate
  • 25% decrease in exit rate
Close Menu