Customer Stories

Novica removes browser injected ads to reduce cart abandonment and improve conversions

Using BrandLock's customer journey hijacking prevention solution, Novica is now able to remove ad injections for a frictionless customer journey experience.

The Results
Average Conversion Rate Lift
Average Revenue Per Visit
Decrease in Cart Abandonment Rate
Business Challenge

Browser injected ads luring shoppers away

Novica was aware of browser-injected ads like popups, competitor and video ads, adult content, and others showing up on luxury shopping sites. But the brand didn’t have an effective way of measuring the impact of those ads on the shopper’s journey and their sales.

The contextual nature of the ads and the design made it difficult for shoppers to identify the browser-injected ads. It was only when they clicked on them, that they were taken to another site.


The browser injected ads compromised the on-site shopping experience. But most importantly, they took away the brand’s shoppers.

When BrandLock met Novica, the meeting resulted in a quick analysis of the site. Novica noticed the number of browser injected ads on their pages. They also learned that almost 11% of their traffic was exposed to them.

Novica realized that browser-injected ads were not targeted at hacking their site. They only wanted to lure shoppers away from completing purchases.

BrandLock solution

BrandLock sets up an A/B test to measure the impact of browser injected ads on Novica

Novica agreed to work with BrandLock on a pay-per-performance model to measure the impact of browser-injected ads. With a team of R&D experts, BrandLock set up 12 months of continuous A/B testing on the brand’s online store.

  • Single variant testing framework – BrandLock ‘on’ vs ‘off’
  • Randomized grouping – Visitors are assigned at random to two groups (control and protected)
  • Analytics integration – Results reporting within Google Analytics or Adobe (previously Omniture)
  • Revenue per session – Metric to measure the impact of removing browser injected ads across all devices (combines AOV and CR)
The test began by adding just one line of code to Novica’s tag management solution.

The Goal

With a goal to achieve a 99% confidence level on the data set, the A/B test measured the revenue per session closely. The metric left no blind spots in determining the actual increase in revenue (or lift) by incorporating both AOV (average order value) and CR (conversion rate).

The Result

The A/B test on Novica began with a simple 50-50 traffic split. The visitors were randomly categorized into two groups – control (exposed to browser injected ads) and protected (browser injected ads disabled by BrandLock Shield).

The first month of the A/B test resulted in:

Group A metrics (control group)    – 1.99% conversion rate                                                                                                 

Group B metrics (protected group) –  2.04% conversion rate

From the second month, BrandLock Shield began protecting 90% of Novica’s traffic, leaving only 10% to the ‘control group’ where the ads were allowed to run their course.


Novica removes browser injected ads to improve luxury shopping and increases revenue with BrandLock Shield

The results of the A/B test seamlessly began to flow into the analytics platform of Novica – Google Analytics. This made it easier for the brand to monitor the impact of removing browser-injected ads with BrandLock Shield.

In the first month, Novica noticed a +5.78% increase in the overall revenue per session. By the next month, the conversion rate lifted by +8%.

After 12 months of continuous A/B testing, Novica found that removing browser-injected ads increased their monthly revenue. They also noticed that shoppers in the protected group were more engaged, with an increase in page views per visit.

With BrandLock Shield, Novica achieved:

  • +3.58% average increase in conversion rate
  • +5.14% average increase in revenue per visit
  • 5.9% decrease in bounce rate      
  • 3.5% decrease in cart abandonment rate
Close Menu